Picture by Philippe Martin
- Librivox is a project to get volunteers to record audio versions of public domain books.
- 2500 volunteers
- Probably one of the most prolific audio book producers in the world
- Currently 1800 books in their catalog (60 to 70 new books a month)
- Using WordPress for their web site
- Home page clearly tells you what you can do on the site. You can listen or you can volunteer (read for them).
- 40,000 visits a day, millions of downloads
- Lot of dedication in the community with a hyper-active group at the top, maybe 50 people who contributed the majority of audio books
- Internet Archive hosts everything.
- Inspiration for the project came from the free software movement, how pragmatically successful it was. Wikipedia and podcasting were also inspiring.
- Long-term vision: objective to record every public domain work in audio.